Alcohol addiction is a severe, sometimes life-threatening disease. While there are some things you can do to stop drinking, the most critical step is to get professional treatment. Then, once you work through the alcohol detox center, you can apply strategies to maintaining sobriety. You can stop drinking. Your body may heal. Our team at Serenity Houston Detox Houston offers the supportive environment and tools you need. To learn more about our alcohol addiction treatment program, please contact us today at 866.516.8356.
Can You Stop Drinking on Your Own?
Some people can stop drinking by simply putting down the alcohol. This step is possible as long as dependence has not formed. Alcohol dependence occurs over time with consistent or binge use of alcohol. When it happens, it means the body and brain are dependent on the substance. When you don’t drink, you may have symptoms such as the following if you are dependent on it:
- Cravings or constantly thinking about using
- Agitation and frustration
- Intense anxiety
- Insomnia or an inability to feel rested after sleep
- Muscle and bone pain
Some people also suffer from mood swings and changes in overall health. You may feel as though you are ill. These are withdrawal symptoms. They are one of the most common reasons people fail to stop drinking long-term.
How to Get Help to Stop Drinking
For those who are engaging in substance abuse but without dependency symptoms, it may be possible to stop the addiction. Though challenging, these tips may help you.
- Remove all alcohol from your life, especially in your home or other places you consistently spend time.
- Communicate with loved ones about your decision not to use alcohol. Ensure they are not using alcohol near you either.
- Avoid visiting locations where you used to drink. Eliminate the desire to have a drink.
- Create new routines. Instead of stopping for a drink after work, head to a park to walk or go a different route home.
- Find a way to relieve stress that isn’t related to alcohol. Many people relapse because they are unable to find a way to manage their stress levels.
It’s also essential to have a reliable support system. It will be difficult to stop using alcohol. If you find yourself thinking about it again, you need to have someone you can call to help guide and support you in your recovery efforts.
Seek Out Professional Alcoholism Treatment
If you are engaging in alcohol abuse and cannot seem to stop on your own, that’s common. It is also something you can change. Seeking out professional alcohol addiction treatment from a licensed therapist can make all of the difference.
Our team offers comprehensive detox services and therapies to help you stop drinking for good. Our services include programs such as:
- Family therapy program
- Behavioral therapy program
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Group therapy program
- Individual therapy program
Working through the detox process is one of the most important first steps. It enables the healing process to begin, creates clarity, and it also provides an opportunity to reclaim your health and future. The only step you have to take to make this happen is calling a treatment center like Serenity House Detox Houston for immediate help and guidance.
Choose Our Team at Serenity House Detox Houston for Help
No matter which tips you use to stop drinking, there is no better way to do so than to get professional help. The sooner you invest in proper care for yourself, the more likely you are to recover fully. To see the difference, turn to Serenity House Detox Houston today. Let us start the detox process for you. Call 866.516.8356, or you reach out now to our team online.