Prescription drugs introduce a unique challenge. On the one hand, they can help people struggling with overwhelming physical or mental symptoms function throughout the day. But on the other hand, they can quickly lead to dependence and addiction. Even with the best intentions, you can develop an addiction to your prescription and require the assistance of a prescription drug detox center to help you recover.
If you or someone you care about struggles with prescription drug abuse, you can trust Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston to help you get back on track. Our prescription drug detox center has all the support and resources you need to get through withdrawal with minimal discomfort. Call us today at 866.516.8356 to learn more about our prescription drug detox program.
What Are the Signs of Prescription Drug Addiction?
There is undoubtedly a need for prescription drugs at certain times. Unfortunately, they come with the risk of addiction. That does not mean you need to avoid using prescription drugs when experiencing significant pain or a mental health condition. However, you should stay informed about the following signs of prescription drug abuse to know when your medication is creating a problem for you:
- Increased tolerance to your prescription – When you become tolerant to a drug, you will need to take more of it to get the same effect. If your current dose of prescription drugs no longer provides the same relief, you have developed a tolerance and possibly an addiction to the drug.
- Frequently running out of your prescription before you are due for a refill – Prescription medications have specified waiting periods for refills to prevent people from misusing them. If you often run out of pills before your refill date, it may be a sign that you are taking them too frequently and could be addicted.
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when you do not have the drug – If you have physical or psychological discomfort whenever you do not take your prescription, you may have an addiction. Some people confuse withdrawal symptoms with the symptoms that warranted the prescription in the first place. For example, heightened anxiety or depression could result from addiction but may be mistaken for the mental health symptoms the drug was intended for.
- Drastic mood swings when you cannot access the drug – If you feel exceptionally irritable or have angry outbursts when you run out of pills, you may have developed an addiction to your prescription.
Prescription drug addiction can be challenging, especially since you may not pick up on the symptoms of drug abuse early on. Now that you are aware of the signs of prescription drug addiction, you are better prepared to know if or when you should reach out to your local prescription drug detox center.
What Are the Most Common Types of Prescription Drug Abuse?
The prescription drugs most often abused are those that produce desirable effects such as an energy boost, relaxation, pain relief, or euphoria. The most commonly abused types of prescription drugs are:
- Painkillers – Opioid drugs, a type of prescription painkillers, are prescribed to treat moderate to severe pain. This category includes drugs like oxycodone, hydrocodone, codeine, and fentanyl.
- Sedatives and tranquilizers – These drugs help treat people with anxiety, panic disorders, and insomnia by helping relax them and relieve tension. Barbiturates and benzodiazepines are two common types of sedatives and tranquilizers.
- Stimulants – Stimulant drugs are prescribed to treat individuals with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and narcolepsy to help keep them alert and focused. Amphetamines and methylphenidate are two categories of stimulant medications.
A person prescribed these drugs may come to depend on the positive feelings, leading them to use more of the drug than prescribed. These desirable effects also tempt those without a prescription to acquire the drugs and use them recreationally.
End Prescription Drug Abuse at Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston
Prescription drug addiction can be powerful, but with the help of Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston, you can overcome addiction and take your life back. Our whole-person approach to recovery will help you heal with medication, behavioral therapies, holistic treatments, and the patience and support of our highly skilled staff. Call us today at 866.516.8356 if you think you or someone you love needs help with prescription drug abuse.