One of the most vital components of addiction treatment is therapy. Behavioral therapies are excellent for teaching clients to identify destructive behaviors that keep them stuck in addiction. Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is one of the most commonly used forms of therapy. This treatment can help people change their lives by changing their thoughts and beliefs. As part of an addiction treatment plan, CBT can help clients break out of harmful patterns so they can reclaim sobriety.
At Serenity House Detox Houston, we realize the significance of a comprehensive addiction treatment approach for lasting recovery. Addiction counseling is a cornerstone of our treatment programs so that our clients can heal their minds, bodies, and spirits from the damage caused by substance use disorders. Call us today at 866.516.8356 to learn more about true healing and recovery with cognitive-behavioral therapy.
How Is CBT Beneficial for Addiction Counseling?
Recovering from addiction is about much more than discontinuing the use of drugs or alcohol. To heal thoroughly, you must address the underlying causes of substance use, and cognitive-behavioral therapy is your ally in addressing the root causes of addiction. Rather than merely sticking it out through withdrawal and relying on willpower to keep you sober, CBT helps you by:
- Identifying triggers in your life that make you want to use drugs or alcohol, like certain people, places, or emotions
- Providing you with healthy coping skills so that you can better manage stressful or upsetting emotions or situations
- Helping you recognize unhealthy thought patterns and empowers you to choose new, productive thoughts that support a sober lifestyle
Substance use disorders typically involve a cycle of negative thoughts and behaviors. For example, being treated poorly by your boss can make you feel angry and powerless, so you turn to alcohol in the evenings for relief. Once intoxication wears off, the problems are still there, and you may feel even worse, possibly hungover. This feeling may affect your performance at work the following day and lead to even further conflict with your employer. You return home and grab a drink, then the cycle continues. CBT can help break this cycle by recognizing how work stress leads you to find relief in a bottle.
CBT Techniques Used for Addiction Counseling
Cognitive-behavioral therapy utilizes various techniques to help clients address their struggles. A trained therapist will assess your needs for addiction counseling and decide which CBT techniques may work best for you. Some of the most commonly used CBT techniques for addiction counseling include:
- Cognitive restructuring – If you are unhappy at work, you may tell yourself you are stuck, and there is nothing you can do. With cognitive restructuring, you learn to reframe your thoughts about the situation. You may begin telling yourself that you can look for other jobs but make the best of things while in your current job. You could view it as gaining experience you can put on your resume for future employment. Reframing your thoughts can give you hope, which can help relieve some of the stress you feel.
- Relaxation techniques – With strategies from your therapist, you can respond to your work stress more effectively. For instance, you may try breathing techniques and choose healthier ways to relieve your anger by heading to a yoga class or taking boxing lessons after work.
- Journaling – Writing your frustrations down can help get them out of your head, which is helpful for anxiety you may have before bed when thinking about work. You can write about your feelings, worries, or frustrations. When it comes to journaling, there are no rules.
You may not be able to change stressful situations at work, but you can change how you respond to them. With the help of CBT techniques, you can retrain your thoughts and choose healthier ways to react to stress, so you are not tempted to use drugs or alcohol.
Heal with Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy at Serenity House Detox Houston
Addiction treatment customization is the key to effective treatment at Serenity House Detox Houston. We strive to provide comprehensive, personalized treatment plans for our clients, giving them the best chance of lasting recovery. Our highly qualified therapists utilize various CBT techniques to best suit your treatment needs. If you or someone you loved is looking to recover from substance use for good, reach out to us today at 866.516.8356.