EMDR or Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing is a therapeutic intervention initially used for people with PTSD and other trauma. In the 1980s, psychotherapist Francine Shapiro noticed that her patients experienced some relief from stress when using eye movements. Dr. Shapiro also used tapping her fingers or other movements that grabbed the patient’s attention. In recent years, the use of EMDR Therapy has expanded. Therapists now use this modality to treat alcoholism, drug addiction, and other addictions. EMDR therapy can also assist with treatment for treating depression, eating disorders, sexual dysfunction, schizophrenia, and phobias. If you or a loved one is looking for EMDR and a trauma therapy program in Houston, Texas, Serenity House Detox Houston provides comprehensive support.
What Is An EMDR Therapy Program?
An EMDR Therapy Program is a treatment that has the client focus on external stimuli. While the focus is on the stimuli, the therapist and the client will begin to discuss problems and difficulties the client is having. Doctors believe that while the patient is talking and focusing on the eye movement or other stimuli, the brain is retrained to think differently. Research has shown that an EMDR therapy program can be very effective. Psychology Today gives 8 phases of EMDR Therapy:
- The therapist takes a complete history to understand the patient’s background. The client and therapist will discuss a plan of treatment.
- The therapist will explain the therapy in depth while gaining the client’s trust.
- An assessment identifies negative thoughts or behavior and what the positive outcomes should look like.
- Next, desensitization occurs, which will include eye movement therapy.
- Installation reinforces positive thoughts or behavior.
- A test determines the progress of the therapy plan.
- The therapist and patient discuss results at the closure of each session.
- At the beginning of each session, the therapist will go over the previous session’s results and how the therapy has helped in everyday life.
If you are looking for an EMDR therapy program in Houston, Texas, let Serenity House Detox Houston help. We are licensed and trained in all aspects of detox and recovery. Your success in recovery is important to all of us at our detox center.
EMDR Therapy and Other Therapy Plans
EMDR is usually provided in conjunction with other therapies. It does have a unique component of movement to distract and retrain thoughts and attitudes but incorporates some similar traits as well. Some of the similarities to other therapy include:
- The partnership between therapist and client has long been cited as the key to the success of recovery. With a clear goal in mind, the therapist and client can work together in an individual therapy program. This relationship is unique and necessary.
- Using verbal and imagery methods is a commonality between many different forms of therapy
- EMDR involves using relaxation techniques to deal with certain types of behavior or feelings. This method is similar to that used in a mindfulness-based therapy program or yoga therapy program.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy also replaces negative thoughts and behavior with positive ones. EMDR adds the external stimuli to draw away from the negative. With both modalities, therapy provides total support for healing.
EMDR Therapy and Detox
Upon intake at an addiction treatment center, staff will ask you any number of questions to evaluate your condition and create the most effective treatment plan. Proper dual diagnosis treatment provides for treating addiction and any co-occurring mental health disorders. Once the most severe symptoms have abated, each individual can begin their treatment plan, including an EMDR therapy program, that will give them the best support to make a lasting recovery.
Why Choose Serenity House Detox Houston?
Serenity House Detox Houston is one of the top detox centers in Texas. We provide a safe, medically-supervised, pain-free detox. Getting help is hard, and we want to make the experience more comfortable.
Serenity House has a quality EMDR therapy program to help you overcome your addiction and face a better future. Live the life you want instead of allowing your addiction to control you. Let us help. Use our contact form or call us today at 866.516.8356