In the face of loss, many people turn to self-medication to numb the pain. Sadly, this does little to help them work through their grief and can lead to addiction. If you or someone you care about is dealing with grief through self-medication, it may be time to consider a dual diagnosis treatment program.
At Serenity House Detox Houston, we understand how the pain of loss can be overwhelming at times, and the appeal of escaping with drugs or alcohol can be substantial. Our dual diagnosis treatment program can help you break free from addiction while empowering you with healthier ways of coping with loss. If grief and addiction are bringing you down, reach out to us today at 866.516.8356.
Loss, Grief, and Self-Medication
Loss can refer to a wide variety of situations in which something or someone you love is taken away. The emotional distress that a loss causes can lead to grief, an intense feeling of deep sadness. Some examples of losses that can lead to grief are:
- Death of a loved one
- Divorce or breakup
- Home foreclosure
- Loss of a job
- Serious illness of someone close
There are many other situations, major and minor, that can lead to grief. Since grieving is an individual experience, something that causes you to feel a deep sense of loss may not affect another person the same way. Sometimes, people mistake this difference as an indication that they should not feel that much pain. To help stuff down those feelings, they turn to drugs or alcohol. Substance use can help relieve your pain temporarily, but your grief will still be there waiting for you when you sober up. A healthier solution would be getting professional help from a dual diagnosis treatment program.
Tips for Coping With Loss
The grief caused by loss can be powerful, but you do not have to settle for the emotional suffering. There are healthier ways to cope with a loss instead of self-medication. If you are struggling with a painful loss, try some of the following coping strategies:
- Speak with a therapist. Therapy can help you work through your grief, so you can heal and move on. A therapist can also help you create a plan for dealing with emotional triggers.
- Continue with your usual routine as much as possible. Regaining some sense of normalcy in your life can bring you comfort.
- Spend time with people you can talk to about your grief. Find a friend or family member with a good listening ear so you feel comfortable opening up rather than bottling up your feelings.
- Look for a support group. There are groups specific to different types of loss, so you may be able to find one in your area or virtually that can help remind you that you are not alone. Group members can support your struggle, offer coping tips, and encourage you to keep working toward healing.
- Take time to do things you enjoy. You may not feel like doing anything, so enlist the help of a loved one to get you out of the house.
If you have experienced a loss and you’ve turned to drugs or alcohol to cope, you may need addiction detox services to manage your symptoms.
Seek Dual Diagnosis Treatment at Serenity House Detox Houston
If self-medication has become your method of coping with loss, reach out to Serenity House Detox Houston to get the help you need to recover. Our dual diagnosis treatment program can help you get sober while providing therapy to address the loss that led to your addiction. By treating the whole person, we can help you achieve a full and lasting recovery. Get your life back today by calling us at 866.516.8356 and getting started with our evidence-based dual diagnosis treatment program.