When someone struggles with addiction, they are hurting more than just their own health and well-being. Substance use disorders can have far-reaching effects, including on family members. If you grew up in a household with a parent or other relative who struggled with addiction, you understand firsthand how much their condition impacted your life. Even if they did manage to recover, you also know that without help from a family therapy center, you can still carry the effects of your loved one’s addiction.
At Serenity House Detox Houston, we are well aware of the impact of addiction on family members. Therefore, we emphasize family therapy in our addiction treatment programs. By healing together as a family, you can overcome the vast effects of addiction. Call us today at 866.516.8356 to learn more about how our family therapy program can support your sobriety.
The Effects of Addiction on Families
When one family member is dealing with addiction to drugs or alcohol, it will inevitably affect the other family members. No one likes to see someone they love struggling and taking their lives in dangerous directions. Addiction can change a person for the worse, which can be painful for those around them. Substance use disorders can strain family relationships because the person with addiction may:
- Engage in uncharacteristic behaviors, such as lying, stealing, and cheating – They may steal money or substances from their loved ones or spend all of their money on substances rather than paying household bills. They may also lie about their substance use and where they are or who they are with to avoid confrontation.
- Become aggressive or violent – Some substances can instigate mood swings, making people more likely to argue or fight with those around them. In some cases, they may even blackout and remember nothing about the altercation the following day.
- Participate in risky behaviors, such as driving under the influence – A person may put themselves and their loved ones at risk when operating a vehicle. Families have been torn apart by fatal accidents that occurred when a loved one was under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
When a person is dealing with addiction, their family members realize they can no longer trust or rely on their loved one. This can drive a wedge in their relationships that may be impossible to overcome without the help of a family therapy center.
How Families Can Overcome Addiction Together
Any person can decide to get clean and enroll in an addiction treatment program on their own, but treatment may fall short without the support of their family. As challenging as it can be to involve your family in recovery, it is necessary for lasting sobriety. It is understandable that some family members may be angry and hurt. As a result, they may be unwilling to set their feelings aside at the moment. While you cannot force family members to participate in a family therapy program, you should encourage them to give it a try. Through family therapy, you can do all that you can to make amends for any hurt your addiction may have caused them. Share with them the benefits of therapy for addiction and family healing, such as:
- Airing any concerns and issues affecting the family
- Learning how to interact with one another in healthy ways
- Learning how to support a loved one with addiction without enabling them
- Addressing how addiction has impacted each family member
- Helping each family member heal from the devastating effects of addiction
Your loved one may be more willing to engage in family therapy once they learn that it can provide the healing they need.
Find Support at Serenity House Detox Houston
Addiction does not exist in a bubble, and no one understands that more than Serenity House Detox Houston. We incorporate quality family therapy programs into our treatment plans to ensure that you have a solid support system to get you through addiction. Call us today at 866.516.8356 to begin your recovery from addiction and family issues.