Drug and alcohol addiction has impacted the lives of millions of Americans and their families. Many of these people have soldiered through addiction detox programs and maintained long-term sobriety. Getting sober and staying drug-and-alcohol-free is no easy feat. Each year in September, we honor those in recovery with National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month. This initiative celebrates the struggles and victories of those who choose to stay sober each day.
At Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston, we realize how hard it is to break free from addiction, and we applaud our clients who stick with their addiction detox program and make it through to recovery. Call us today at 866.516.8356 to learn how we can help you ditch your addiction at our Houston-based addiction recovery center.
What Is National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month?
In September 1989, the US government created National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month to bring mental health and addiction treatment awareness. Millions of Americans suffer silently from substance use disorders and co-occurring mental health conditions, but this initiative aims to:
- End the stigma around mental illness and drug and alcohol addiction
- Encourage people suffering from mental health and addiction to get the proper treatment
- Celebrate the efforts of those in recovery
- Increase funding for treatment programs
- Inspire people to look out for the well-being of their loved ones and support them through recovery
- Recognize the hard work of those in addiction treatment professions
The stress of modern life has led to an increased incidence of mental illness and addiction. Most people can now say they have experience with it themselves or with a loved one. By celebrating National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month, you are spreading the word on how anyone can suffer from these conditions. However, professional treatment programs can heal and move on to a sober, healthy lifestyle.
How Can You Support National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month?
Whether or not you or someone you love has struggled with an addiction, you can show your support for National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month. This year’s theme is “Recovery Is For Everyone: Every Person, Every Family, Every Community.” This theme is a nod to the realization that mental health and addiction can affect anyone, regardless of your background. Here are some ideas for celebrating those in recovery:
- Check out the Faces & Voices of Recovery website for their Recovery Month events calendar. You can find fundraising events, festivals, conventions, and athletic events all geared toward recovery.
- Find Recovery Month events in your area through an online search. Addiction treatment centers and mental health and addiction organizations near you may be hosting events.
- Host your own event in honor of National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month. This can be anything as small as a sober party for friends and family to something more extensive like a fundraising event.
- Plan a memorable day trip with a loved one in recovery. Recognizing their efforts to maintain a clean lifestyle can provide them with the support they need to stay on track.
Furthermore, if you or someone you love is struggling with mental health and addiction, encourage them to get help at an addiction recovery center.
Seek Addiction Treatment at Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston
Start your recovery journey at Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston. Our addiction detox programs can help you heal from drug and alcohol addiction with co-occurring mental health disorders. Once you put your trust in Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston, every National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month will be a time to celebrate your success. Give us a call today at 866.516.8356 to get started with comprehensive, evidence-based treatment at our Houston-based addiction recovery center.