Stress is one of the top contributors to health problems, and substance use disorder is no exception. Without a reliable set of healthy coping skills, stress can also make your recovery extremely challenging, if not impossible. To fully heal your body and mind from addiction and co-occurring mental health disorders, it is essential to begin practicing stress management. With the help of a residential treatment program, you can gain the skills you need to keep stress from taking over your health and happiness.
At Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston, we understand the importance of stress management in addiction recovery. Our residential treatment program provides dual diagnosis treatment to address the underlying causes of addiction and teach you how to manage stress more healthily. Give us a call at 866.516.8356 to learn more about how our behavioral and holistic therapies prioritize your mental health in recovery.
What Is the Significance of Stress Management in Addiction Recovery?
Good stress management is an essential skill for anyone to learn, but it is vital for addiction recovery. If you experience chronic or high levels of stress in your life, it can interfere with recovery by:
- Making you more likely to self-medicate to alleviate stress
- Making you more susceptible to mental health disorders like anxiety and depression, which may also lead to self-medication
- Placing more strain on the relationships that are vital to your support systems, such as partners, family members, and friends
Without effectively managing the stress in your life, you are at a much higher risk for relapse. Unfortunately, it is impossible to avoid stress altogether, so your best option is to strengthen your stress management skills. Then, when inevitable stress comes your way, you will be better prepared to handle it constructively and prevent it from negatively impacting your health and well-being.
Recognizing the Symptoms of Stress
Being aware of the symptoms of stress can help you notice them and manage them before they can take a toll on your health. Stress can manifest physical, emotional, and mental symptoms, such as:
- Unexplained aches and pains
- Chronic tension in the jaw and other muscles
- Elevated blood pressure and heart rate
When you begin to notice the signs of stress developing, it is best to employ stress management techniques right away to keep it under control. The sooner you practice stress management, the less likely you will be to relapse.
How Can a Residential Treatment Program Support Your Mental Health in Recovery?
A comprehensive addiction treatment program will include various components to address your physical, emotional, and mental health in recovery. Some of the treatments that will help hone your stress management skills include:
- Behavioral therapy–This may include cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) or dialectical behavior therapy (DBT). Both of these therapies can help you examine and modify unhelpful thoughts, beliefs, and behaviors that worsen your stress rather than alleviate it.
- Physical activity–Exercise helps calm the mind and body by releasing stress before it can build up. It also stimulates endorphin production, which helps to elevate your mood.
- Relaxation techniques–Mindfulness activities such as meditation, breathing exercises, and yoga can soothe your mind and body.
Throughout your addiction treatment program, you will participate in the above therapies to help you learn how to handle stress more effectively. As a result, you are less likely to feel tempted to self-medicate with drugs or alcohol. By learning better ways to approach stress management in addiction recovery, you and your loved ones can enjoy a healthy, sober lifestyle.
Learn Stress Management Skills at Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston
Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston can provide you with the stress management tools you need to navigate lasting recovery. Call us today at 866.516.8356 to learn how our residential treatment program can prepare you to manage daily stressors.