If you are suffering from opioid addiction, you may have considered trying to detox at home. Many people have attempted to quit opioid addiction on their own only to find that the withdrawal symptoms were too intense. For the most effective recovery, opt for professional treatment at an opioid detox center.
At Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston, you can get through withdrawal much more comfortably and with the support of a care team, giving you the best chance of a full recovery. Our opioid detox center in Houston provides you with a comprehensive opioid addiction treatment program proven to help you get clean and stay clean. To learn more about how we can help you detox from opioids safely, give us a call at 866.516.8356.
The Risks of Quitting Cold Turkey
When you are using prescription opioids, it may surprise you that you have developed an addiction. A false sense of safety comes with taking a drug the doctor has prescribed to you. For example, using a prescription opioid like OxyContin and Vicodin can help you manage pain after an injury or surgery. Unfortunately, these drugs are highly addictive, and many people unknowingly develop dependence. When this happens, you may think you can stop using the medication whenever you want. However, trying to do an opioid detox at home can be much harder than expected.
If you attempt quitting cold turkey, you may experience the following beginning as soon as eight hours after your last dose:
- Muscle soreness
- Anxiety and panic attacks
- Stomach cramping
Many people find these withdrawal symptoms so intense that they cannot successfully make it through detox. Getting treatment at an opioid detox center can help minimize or even eliminate the withdrawal symptoms so you can detox successfully.
The Benefits of Getting Treatment at an Opioid Detox Center
If you have tried to quit your opioid addiction on your own but found it too difficult to get through withdrawal, it is not too late to try again. Getting medically supervised treatment at an opioid detox center can completely change your entire detox experience. Here are some of the benefits of enrolling in a professional opioid detox program:
- You will receive the support of a designated care team throughout your treatment. As a residential client, you will have access to medical professionals around the clock.
- To help you get through uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms, you will receive a carefully selected combination of medications. Some of these medications can fool the brain into thinking you have taken opioids, so you do not experience withdrawal symptoms. Others can help decrease cravings for opioids.
- Therapy is a crucial component of an effective opioid detox program. Your therapist can help you explore distorted thought patterns that may be part of your addiction. They can also help you design a plan for relapse prevention.
- Group therapy may also come into play during your detox program. Sharing your detox struggles and wins with others in the same boat can help you feel you are not alone.
- Family therapy is sometimes available at opioid detox centers. This can help address relationship problems that may have developed around your addiction.
We recommend professional detox for anyone struggling with opioid addiction. For more information, please reach out to Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston today.
Seek Detox Services at Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston
With the safe and effective opioid detox program at Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston, you do not have to run the risk of opioid detox at home. We are here to help you get through withdrawal comfortably with the assistance of medication, addiction therapy, and 24/7 support from our professional and understanding care team. Do not put off getting the treatment you deserve any longer. Call us today at 866.516.8356 to reclaim a clean and sober lifestyle.