If you have ever tried to quit drug or alcohol addiction while dealing with strained family relationships, you know how difficult it can be. Family support is a crucial component of a successful recovery. Your family dynamics can make or break your attempts to get sober. To get the most out of your addiction treatment, you should consider choosing an addiction therapy program that includes family counseling.
Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston realizes the significance of family support while you are in recovery. We provide a family therapy program as an integral part of our addiction treatment to ensure that we help you fully heal from addiction and co-occurring mental health conditions. To learn more about how we incorporate family therapy into our highly effective addiction treatment programs, call us today at 866.516.8356.
Why Family Support Matters for Recovery
If you enroll in an addiction treatment program and make it through the challenges of detox, you may wonder why you even need family therapy. After all, you are the one with the addiction. However, the truth is that your drug or alcohol addiction affects those around you, especially your family and friends. Some loved ones even develop post-traumatic stress disorder from dealing with the addiction of someone they care about dearly.
For the most effective addiction treatment, you and your loved ones all need to heal. Sometimes, family therapy is the only way that family members can be in the same room long enough to work through their problems together. Having the guidance of a professional family counselor can help everyone take a step back and see how they may be contributing to the strained relationship.
Taking advantage of a family therapy program can help strengthen family support while you are in recovery. Having a healthy family support system during addiction treatment can mean:
- Having a lower risk of relapse
- An effort made toward sustaining a more stable home environment
- Having a much higher chance of continuing with treatment
- Developing healthier relationships
- Feeling a reduction in stress and tension
- Feeling less isolated
- Improving mental health and wellness
While family support is vital for you during recovery, it can benefit all family members for years to come as you continue to enjoy a sober lifestyle.
Rebuilding Relationships With Family Therapy
Sometimes family members mean well but do not know the best way to interact with or support a loved one suffering from addiction. They may inadvertently say the wrong thing that sends their loved one spiraling downward and drowning their frustrations in a bottle. Eventually, cracks can develop in the relationship, and interactions may become strained.
Some of the ways family therapy can help rebuild relationships include:
- Helping the person in recovery learn how to regain their loved ones’ trust
- Teaching family members how to support their loved ones during their recovery without enabling them
- Showing family members how to set and follow through on healthy boundaries to create a safe, respectful home environment
- Coming up with a plan to maintain a drug- and alcohol-free home environment to eliminate temptations
- Keeping the lines of communication open to prevent feelings of isolation
- Staying committed to family therapy sessions to resolve issues in a healthy manner
- Getting the help needed for any mental health conditions that are putting additional stress on relationships
Investing time and effort into rebuilding relationships to strengthen family support can help you stay on course for lifelong recovery.
Get Support at Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston
The family therapy program at Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston will help you and your loved ones work through your recovery together. By rebuilding relationships with those who matter most to you, you can set the stage for a healthy, sober lifestyle. Give us a call today at 866.516.8356 to learn more about the benefits of our family therapy program.