Many people celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with green beer, loud crowds, and lots of revelries. Yet, for a person living a sober lifestyle, this type of celebration seems worrisome and hard to ignore if you have always celebrated the holiday in this way. Here’s the good news. A sober St. Patrick’s Day can be enjoyable and perhaps even more memorable. At Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston, we’re happy to help you work towards this goal. Please contact Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston today at 866.516.8356 to learn more about our detox programs.
Why Should You Create a Sober St. Patrick’s Day Plan?
This year, the holiday will be different. You have decided to continue your treatment for alcohol abuse and avoid drinking. If you have a plan in place for this day and stick with it, you’re less likely to find yourself tempted to drink. Having a plan means creating activities and things to do on this day that helps keep you busy and away from those who may otherwise lure you into a day of drinking.
Ideas for a Sober St. Patrick’s Day
What can you do on this day that is not going to lead to substance abuse? Be creative in coming up with something to do and experience on this holiday. It may be easier to do this than you think. Here are some ideas to help you to get started:
- Head to the parade with a new focus. This time, bring along some kids or tag along with family. Avoid the bars. Instead, head to the areas where there are attractions for the whole family. It may be more enjoyable this way.
- Go on a 4-leaf clover hunt. You may not find any, but spending some time with a spring picnic planned may be just what you and someone special to you need to do.
- Plan an Irish feast. You may find there are some traditions you do not have to give up, such as celebrating with an Irish stew or corned beef and cabbage dinner.
- Go for a springtime hike. One of the things that makes celebrating this holiday so much fun is that it is the beginning of spring. Celebrate the rebirth in nature while you honor your new start in a sober living lifestyle.
- Invest in some fun at home. Host an Irish movie night with friends or family (choose everything from traditional cartoons to old movies.) Dress the part with some bright green colors.
Overcoming Substance Abuse Means Recognizing Your Need for Help
Alcohol abuse treatment isn’t a simple path. It requires paying close attention to the changes you feel and experience over time. If you are struggling with celebrating holidays without alcohol or skipping out on traditions, that may be an indication you need help. Investing a few minutes with a therapist may be necessary. In some cases, you may need more advanced care and a step back into rehab.
That’s okay. We can help you if you need more help right now to overcome your alcohol addiction and stay healthy longer. You may need more time for your brain and body to heal. Let us provide that support to you through our numerous treatment programs, including:
- Individual therapy programs
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Group therapy programs
- Yoga therapy programs
- Trauma therapy programs
Learn more about the treatment methods available by calling Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston today.
Empower Your Future Through Treatment at Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston
Thinking about a sober St. Patrick’s Day but unsure you can maintain your sober living goals? That’s when it is time to seek out help. Do not put off calling Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston for immediate support. Our professionals are here to guide you into avoiding relapse or getting you back on track. Learn about our programs when you call 866.516.8356 or connect with us online.