Going back to school in the fall can have a different meaning when you are in recovery. You may be excited to reunite with your college friends and get started with your new set of classes. However, other parts of the college experience can make things challenging if you’re trying to abstain from alcohol. The college social scene is often filled with drinking and partying. So, how can you continue being sober while still having a robust social life? With the support of addiction detox programs, you can get help navigating college life while remaining on the path to sobriety.
At Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston, we understand how hard it can be to maintain a sober lifestyle while you are away at college. We can provide you with the support you need to avoid temptation while still enjoying the college experience. To learn more about how our addiction detox programs can help you enjoy sober living in college, give us a call at 866.516.8356.
How to Make Staying Sober at School Easier
You do not have to lock yourself in your dorm room every day to stay sober while you are away at college. Here are some tips to help make maintaining sobriety easier so you can focus on your coursework:
- Plan ahead for a variety of scenarios that may trigger cravings. If you tend to reach for alcohol to help you deal with stress, find other ways to prevent or relieve stress before it gets out of control. College campuses often provide fitness centers where you can work off stress in the gym. You may even be able to find yoga or meditation classes to help you calm your mind and body.
- If you find it impossible to avoid temptation at parties, you may want to avoid parties for the time being. Rather than sit in your room alone, find a sober friend to do something fun with so you are not just sitting around thinking about missing out on the party scene. Better yet, find others who are planning sober parties (or plan one yourself), so you can enjoy socializing without alcohol or drugs.
- Find social groups that revolve around healthy, sober activities like hiking, volunteering, day-tripping, and tutoring. Keeping yourself busy with your schoolwork and alcohol-free activities can help you have a productive and enjoyable college experience.
There are plenty of additional ways to engage with your peers without drugs or alcohol. However, it is also vital to find support during this challenging period.
Finding Support for Maintaining Sobriety at School
Cultivating a strong support system can help you stay sober at school. Here are some ideas to get started:
- Find a support group on campus. Check with your student health center to find out about resources offered to support students in recovery. Some schools have groups geared specifically toward sober living that may include meetings, activities, and the chance to make new sober friends.
- Find a therapist on or near the college campus. Most colleges provide mental health counseling now, and it is a good idea to schedule an appointment with a counselor as soon as possible after arriving back at school. Seeing a therapist before you feel that you are in crisis can help decrease the risk of relapse.
- Look up addiction detox programs near your campus. Just because you are going back to school does not mean you have to give up on your support while detoxing from alcohol or drugs.
If you need additional support, we welcome you to reach out to Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston today.
Get Support at Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston
At Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston, we understand that sobriety is a long-term commitment, and the college atmosphere can make it more challenging to stay the course. With a combination of individual counseling, group therapy, family therapy, and other support programs, you can learn how to get the most out of your college experience without undoing all of the hard work you did to get clean. Call us today at 866.516.8356 to start getting the support you need for maintaining sobriety at school.