For many people, the holidays are a time to celebrate with food and drink, especially alcoholic beverages like wine and beer. When you are in recovery, this presents a challenge. You do not want to miss out on Thanksgiving gatherings with friends and family, but you know you will encounter triggers. So how can you enjoy Thanksgiving with your loved ones without interfering with your sobriety? With the help of an alcohol detox center, you can get the support you need to stay on the path to recovery this holiday season.
At Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston, we understand how difficult the holidays can be when many events revolve around alcohol. We are here to guide you through the holidays so you can spend time with those you care about without the fear of relapse. Call us today at 866.516.8356 to learn how treatment at our alcohol detox center can support your recovery through the holidays and beyond.
How to Avoid Drinking on Thanksgiving
When you are in recovery, the holidays can bring on a certain sense of dread, which can be particularly intense in the early days of your sobriety. Being around alcohol is a common trigger for those in recovery, and unfortunately, it can be challenging to avoid alcohol during the holidays, especially Thanksgiving. Here are some tips to help you stay on track:
So how can you maintain sobriety over the Thanksgiving holiday without isolating yourself or feeling completely miserable? Here are some tips to help you stay on track:
- If attending a gathering where you know there will be alcohol, consider bringing alcohol-free wine or beer. If you have a substitute for alcoholic drinks, you may be less likely to crave the real thing. Sometimes, drinking on the holidays is simply a habit, so keeping an alcohol-free drink in your hand can prevent feelings of deprivation.
- Spend time with children at Thanksgiving events where there is alcohol. This will create distance between you and the alcohol at the event, especially if you sit at the kids’ table.
- Stay busy. Offering to help with errands like cooking, cleaning up, washing dishes, and table setting will make you the host’s hero and keep your mind occupied.
- Have someone you can reach out to at any time throughout the day. It could be a sponsor, a care team at an addiction treatment center, or a friend in recovery. This can provide you with emergency support when triggers or cravings get too intense.
- Host a Thanksgiving gathering at your place. You can let guests know in advance that it will be an alcohol-free dinner so that there is no confusion or awkwardness.
By keeping yourself busy, staying engaged with others, and substituting with alcohol-free drinks, you can stay on the path toward recovery.
How an Alcohol Detox Center Can Help You Enjoy a Sober Holiday
Addiction treatment centers are about more than just the time you spend at the center. They can also provide ongoing support to help you maintain your sobriety outside of the facility. Plan for support from your alcohol detox center this Thanksgiving with treatments such as:
- Relapse prevention therapy
- Group therapy
- Family therapy
- Stress reduction techniques
Preparation is the key to sober living, so take advantage of the support offered by your treatment program.
Find Support at Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston
Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston is here to help you avoid drinking on Thanksgiving. Our alcohol detox center will provide the therapy and support you need to stay focused on recovery. Give us a call today at 866.516.8356, so you will be ready for a healthy, sober holiday season.