Often drug or alcohol addicts have a difficult time feeling like they really need treatment. Many people go through periods of wanting to change before returning to believing there isn’t a problem. This cycle can leave the individual stuck in a place of fear and loneliness. Some may feel it is easier to stay in the current situation rather than seek recovery, which can seem out of reach. So, what is Motivational Enhancement Therapy, and how can it help? Motivational Enhancement Therapy, or MET, can assist with helping a patient see the need for a change as well as provide the motivation to get started. If you or a loved one is looking for a Motivational Enhancement Therapy program in Houston, there are several quality treatment centers available.
Five Principles of MET
Change is hard. MET targets the ambivalence of change, along with other therapeutic interventions. After the therapist has achieved the goal of motivation, MET is sometimes combined with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. So, what is Motivational Enhancement Therapy? The five principles of MET are:
- Therapists must establish trust by expressing empathy and understanding to the client. During this portion of MET, reflection is used to repeat what the individual is saying and feeling, with slight variations. Feedback helps to create a feeling of being understood and heard.
- The next step in MET is to emphasize the disparity between where the individual wants to be and where they actually are. This can also help to point out some actions that are preventing progression towards sobriety.
- One of the most critical parts of MET is that the therapist must avoid making statements that might put the individual on the defense and cause arguing. Instead, using open-ended questions, the therapist evokes the idea of ‘change talk.’ An example might be: ‘How would you like things to be different?’ or ‘What plan do you have to make things different?’
- Any opposition or hostility will be met with agreement or reflective feedback to keep the lines of communication open and continue building trust.
- The therapist will consistently remind the client that sobriety is obtainable. Many times the belief that one is not capable of doing what it takes to change behavior can hinder healing.
Motivational Enhancement Therapy and Addiction Treatment
MET, along with other evidence-based addiction therapies, provides insight into your addiction and offers a course towards recovery. No matter what stage of recovery you are in, MET can help. Creating a new life in recovery can seem impossible at times. Identifying and completing steps towards positive change, no matter how small, builds momentum. With the proper support in place, you can create change that leads to a life beyond your wildest dreams.
At Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston, we offer several addiction treatment programs to provide support for lasting recovery. These include:
- Medical Drug and Alcohol Detox
- Men’s Detox Program
- Women’s Detox Program
- Holistic Drug and Alcohol Detox
Reach out to Serenity House Detox & Recovery in Houston
Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston is the place to start your road to recovery. Our compassionate, well-trained staff has one goal: to bring healing and hope to all of our clients. We know that addiction is not only a physical dependence but mental as well. Detox is the first step in recovery. You need to know that you are not alone. Reach out to us today at 866.516.8356.