Nearly half of people who have a mental illness also struggle with an addiction to drugs or alcohol. These conditions play off one another and can exacerbate your symptoms, so it is crucial to get help from a dual diagnosis treatment program. Dual diagnosis treatment is the most thorough approach for someone with substance use disorder accompanied by a mental health condition.
To overcome substance use disorder and a co-occurring mental health condition, you can count on the dual diagnosis treatment center at Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston. We understand the importance of helping heal your mental health and addiction simultaneously. With an individualized treatment plan consisting of medication, therapy, and support, we will have you on the road to feeling your best in no time. Call us today at 866.516.8356 to experience the difference dual diagnosis treatment can make in your life.
What Is Dual Diagnosis?
A dual diagnosis means that you have two or more disorders occurring simultaneously. This diagnosis may also be referred to as having co-occurring disorders. Some of the most common disorders that occur with substance use disorder are:
- Anxiety disorder
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Eating disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
What makes these mental health conditions so common in people with addiction? Plenty of people who do not receive proper treatment for their mental health will use drugs or alcohol to self-medicate and relieve their symptoms. In many cases, substance use disorder directly results from one of these mental health disorders.
The Benefits of Dual Diagnosis Treatment
You may wonder if it truly matters whether you treat addiction and mental health together or separately. It does make a difference, and it is highly recommended that these conditions be treated concurrently. There are several reasons that dual diagnosis treatment is preferable for most patients at addiction treatment centers:
- Dual diagnosis treatment reduces the risk of relapse. Treating addiction before addressing a condition like anxiety or PTSD leaves you with the same mental health struggles you had going into treatment. This makes you much more vulnerable to self-medication.
- Treatment for co-occurring disorders is more thorough. Whether a mental health disorder led to addiction or substance abuse triggered a mental health issue, dual diagnosis treatment will attend to both conditions simultaneously. Learning how to manage your mental health more effectively can increase your resilience to addiction triggers.
- A dual diagnosis treatment center can help you see that you are not alone in your struggle with co-occurring disorders. Sharing your story with your peers in recovery and learning what strategies were helpful for them can influence your success.
- A dual diagnosis treatment program teaches you coping skills for mental health and addiction triggers. Since these conditions are so closely linked, knowing how to prevent or minimize triggers for both can make it easier for you to stay on track.
When you choose a dual diagnosis treatment center, you can trust that no stone will be left unturned with a whole-person approach that helps end the cycle of mental health struggles and addiction.
Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston: Your Comprehensive Dual Diagnosis Treatment Center
At Serenity House Detox & Recovery Houston, we realize the importance of simultaneously treating substance use disorder and mental health conditions. When co-occurring disorders are treated simultaneously, you have the best chance for a successful, long-lasting recovery. Our behavioral and holistic therapies can get to the root of your addiction, so we can help you customize a relapse prevention plan. Call us today at 866.516.8356 to learn more about our dual diagnosis treatment programs and how to get started on your recovery journey.